Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Dad is a Jack of all trades, his Dad was too. That comes in really handy when you're poor and can't afford to hire someone to do the work for you. I spent numerous weekends over the years assisting my Dad on the projects he had to do, painting, basement remodeling, flooring, etc, all while my numerous siblings got to sleep in or play with friends. I didn't care, I loved the time I got to spend with my Dad alone. No other kid would dare interrupt and risk getting drawn into what they considered home improvement hell. My Dad has what I like to call Home Depot Turrets, when he's working hammers and cuss words tend to fly freely! It was frightening to others, like the time he yelled "F**k Bob Vila" at a wayward closet door when my BFF Trish was over spending the night. She still talks about that to this day...Anyway he taught me a lot, and now that I'm grown (or so they tell me) and own my own house I can truly appreciate all I've learned. Last year I installed wood laminate flooring throughout the entire first floor of my house, no small task with a newborn around. It turned out great and I saved around 5-7 grand doing it myself. This year I decided to tackle ceramic tile in my bath, I needed to replace the moldy carpeting that had resided there far to long. "Tile is a pain in the a**" my Dad said, I did it anyway, ever needing to prove to myself I can do it. It looks awesome...no cussing involved...(ok, maybe a little)

5 comments:

Kristen said...

It does look great Chrissy!! You should be so proud of yourself.

Colleen said...

I agree, you should be proud and I bet your dad is too!

Tamara said...

how exciting to be able to conquer such a task....I got a temper from my dad LOL

Unknown said...

haha ... take that Bob Vila!

carebear7951 said...

LOL...my dad censored his comments while working around me. But I spent all the time watching my brothers...so I can watch a baby better than anyone but am just now learning to paint nicely. **eyes roll**