Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ahhhh

My Daughter Elisse started middle school this year( and in case anyone was wondering it hasn't changed a bit). She goes to a great school, one I could only dream of attending at her age. She is a "gifted" (hate that term but it is what it is) student, takes all advanced classes and makes good grades. I tell her this is a part of her problem, she is to damn smart for her own good. She has a hard time relating to the cattyness of the other girls, she has more of a hippy-ish live and let live attitude which is not very common among 11 year old girls. I love that about her. I guess the point of this post is I have no idea what I'm doing. I was just a kid myself when I had her. I remember the exact moment we met, I was alone in my room, in my heart, in my life. Her Dad had left me, freaked out by the prospect of parenting I guess. I had just gotten off the phone with him, it was not a pleasant phone call and it finally hit me that it was truly over and I was in fact doing this on my own. It was the darkest, scariest moment of my life, I literally hit rock bottom. I laid on the floor and just cried and cried.......and then she kicked me. I sat up and she kicked again. I had a feeling wash over me that there are no words to describe, it was as close to heaven as I have ever been. In a moment I went from hysterical crying to jubilant laughing, it wasn't about me anymore, it was about us. She made it easy, she was a great baby, not so terrible toddler and very easy going kid. As we approach the teenage years I am filled with anxiety about screwing her up. I watch news shows and court tv not for the latest scoop but more as a manuel on how not to raise a drunk/druggie/murderer. I always think "what did those parents do wrong? " Okay so even if I have all the felonies covered how do I prevent the misdemeanors? This parenting stuff is hard, I hope I figure it out before it's too late...

5 comments:

carebear7951 said...

Chrissy-I think that's what we all hope, that we get it right before it's too late. You're definitely not alone there. :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have a good girl on your hands. Just spend time with her, listen to her, and encourage her. That's about all we can do as parents to make sure they turn out ok.

Colleen said...

You are a great mom Chrissy and you will do well. Your story brought tears to my eyes. I've been there, you think the world is ending but there is this little person who makes everything worthwhile.

Tamara said...

Your love for your daughter is so refreshing....she is lucky to have you and vica versa

Kristen said...

Oh Chrissy. You are a wonderful mom. Just stay in tuned with Elise like you are doing and she will be ok. I dont think you have anything to worry about she sounds like a well-adjusted almost teenager.